Free School Meals
IS YOUR CHILD ELIGIBLE FOR FREE SCHOOL MEALS?
Your child may be entitled to free school meals if you or your child receives one of the following:
- Income support
- Income-based Job Seekers’ Allowance (IBJSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit, and have an annual income (as assessed by the HM Revenue and Customs) that does not exceed the income threshold set by the Treasury, currently £16,190
- The ‘Guaranteed’ element of the State Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit 'run on' - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks AFTER they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Please note, parents receiving working tax credit are not eligible.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Students entitled to free school meals are allowed to purchase two different items, regardless of price, for their lunch. The free school meal allowance applies to lunches only, purchased in the Dining Hall and is available during Period 3 lunch break. Purchases made outside of lunch time must be paid for by topping up your child’s account on Parent Pay.
WHY APPLY FOR FREE SCHOOL MEALS?
- School lunches provide a healthy, nutritious and tasty meal of a main course and pudding (drinks extra)
- Research shows that a school lunch can help concentration levels
- Menus are varied and are available from the school
- Schools may be able to receive additional DfE funding
- Financial assistance may be available for trips or activities directly related to the taught curriculum
HOW CAN I APPLY?
Applications are made online using the Department for Education Eligibility Checking Service (ECS) which allows your eligibility to be checked confidentially online speeding up the application process. You will need to have your National Insurance number to hand to do so.
If you cannot access the online Application Form or need assistance, we can complete the application on your behalf. Please phone the school on 01344 624826 or email email@example.com with your National Insurance number to hand to discuss.