Free School Meals
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR FREE SCHOOL MEALS?
Free school meals are available to students in receipt of, or whose parents are in receipt of, one or more of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Students entitled to free school meals are allowed to purchase two different items, regardless of price, for their lunch. The free school meal allowance applies to lunches only, purchased in the Dining Hall and is available during Period 3 lunch break. Purchases made outside of lunch time must be paid for by topping up your child’s account on Parent Pay.
WHY APPLY FOR FREE SCHOOL MEALS?
- School lunches provide a healthy, nutritious and tasty meal of a main course and pudding (drinks extra)
- Research shows that a school lunch can help concentration levels
- Menus are varied and are available from the school
- Schools may be able to receive additional DfE funding
- Financial assistance may be available for trips or activities directly related to the taught curriculum
HOW CAN I APPLY?
Applications are made online using the Department for Education Eligibility Checking Service (ECS) which allows your eligibility to be checked confidentially online speeding up the application process. You will need to have your National Insurance number to hand to do so.
If you cannot access the online Application Form or need assistance, we can complete the application on your behalf. Please phone the school on 01344 624826 or email email@example.com with your National Insurance number to hand to discuss.
If your child is eligible for free school meals they are also able to have porridge each morning before school in the dining area, provided free of charge by Cucina, our catering partner. This is a really nutritious way to start the day and we encourage all FSM students to go to the dining room to pick up their breakfast porridge.