History of the School
Charters School opened its doors on 23 April 1958 to just under 400 students. A service of dedication was held in the school hall on 17 December 1958 and the students were given an extra half-day’s holiday to mark the occasion.
The origins of the school crest stem from the day on which it opened, 23 April – St. George’s Day and Shakespeare’s birthday. The red cross of St. George, the dagger symbolising Shakespeare and the symbol of Berkshire, the stag make up the emblem which collectively reflects courtesy, compassion, chivalry and scholarship.
|1958 - School Opens on 23 April||1992- New purpose built library and Resource Centre opens|
|1962 - Queen Elizabeth makes an informal visit on 4 April||1997 - Princess Royal presents Barry Mitchell, Headteacher with the year's School Curriculum Award and the school is given the Sportsmark Award|
|1969 - Charters become an eight form entry Comprehensive school for local children aged 11-18||1997 - Marcia Twelftree appointed as Headteacher later this year|
|1971 - Tyr Abad (formally Tirabad) outdoor pursuits centre officially opens on 29 September||2008 - Golden Jubilee 50 years celebration|
|1972 - Expansion of school includes ten new science labs and a games hall||2009 - Martyn Parker and Richard Pilgrim take on pioneering roles of Co-Headteachers|
|1983 - Centre for physically disabled students opens to its first students and the school celebrates its 25 years Silver Jubilee||2018 - Diamond Jubilee 60 years celebration, Martyn Parker retires and Richard Pilgrim continues as Headteacher|
|1985 - Sports facilities expanded||2020 - John Fletcher appointed as Headteacher following Richard Pilgrim's retirement|