Young Apprenticeship in Sports Management, Leadership & Coaching
Mr A Hancock (YA Co-ordinator)
This course is based on the BTEC Extended Certificate in Sport, which is very much a vocational course and is equivalent to 3 GCSEs grades A*-C. Fundamentally you have the opportunity to be able to gain 3 GCSEs whilst at the same time combining study with and for GCSE PE. Due to the fact that additional time for study is made on Fridays from 3.15 to 4.45pm, this is a course for students who have a clear commitment to sport as a likely career path. It is for students who
- Can demonstrate a commitment to school.
- Have a passion for sport and leisure activities.
- Enjoy learning in the practical setting.
- Have the ability to cope with challenges of extended work placements.
What will you study during the course?
- With the BTEC Diploma, there are a number of units of study over 2 years, including:
- Health & Fitness for Sports Exercise
- Practical Sports Performance
- The Sports Performer in Action
- Training for Personal Fitness
- The Mind and Sports Performance
- Leading Sports Activities
In addition a wide variety of vocationally related enrichment courses maybe taken, including Level 2 Gym Instructor Award, Level 2 Health Related Activity Award; L2 Award in Coaching Studies, Junior Football Organiser; Tennis Leaders Award, amongst many, many others.
How will the course be taught?
As with the BTEC First Award, a variety of approaches will be used. There will be some formal teaching, but there will also be lots of opportunities for you to work in groups, carry out individual research and to participate in a practical environment. The course however is not for the faint hearted! Most INSET Days and several half terms in Year 10 will be spent acquiring the additional qualifications mentioned or at Tirabad!
The Young Apprenticeship requires students to initially take the BTEC Sport Option and to make an application in writing explaining why they wish to take the course. This will be followed by a formal interview for shortlisted candidates shortly after. It is important that you realise that there are a maximum of 20 places that are available for the Young Apprenticeship.